Dark Glass Ponderings

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. -1 Corinthians 13:12

These two are a well-matched pair as I believe when we are struggling with self-control we are really allowing idols into our life.  The idol may be what I'm eating, what I'm spending my time on, what I'm spending my money on, what I'm looking at or what I'm listening to...whatever is distracting me from following God completely.

When I think of faith, I first think of God's faithfulness to us.  As we see how faithful He has been to us, the result should be a greater obedience to everything God tells us. 

My faith has been tested this past week in regards to my children.  My son was hospitalized recently and quite honestly I am struggling with paranoia.  Accidents remind us that life is unexpected.  I am needing to realize that God is the protector of my children, not me.  He sees all and loves my children more than I do.  I would like to say that I have a trusting, unswerving faith...but this I do know.  I serve a God who is worthy of all trust and praise and does not change.

My favorite faith-filled characters in fiction:

1) Michael Hosea in Redeeming Love

2) Mama Beth in Texas Roads

3) Hanne in Wildflowers of Terezin

4) Elisa in the Zion Covenant Series by Bodie & Brock Thoene


Self-Control
All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. -1 Corinthians 9:25

A person without self-control is as defenseless as a city with broken-down walls. -Proverbs 25:28

Where are the weaknesses in your wall?  These things allow the enemy to get through. 

I think of Nehemiah when he set out to rebuild the wall in Jerusalem.  Every step he took was bathed in prayer. 

When I think of self-control I think of what do we spend our time and money on?  What do we look to when the chips are down? 

When my son got out of the hospital, I came home feeling depressed and ate a piece of chocolate cake.  I'm not saying that eating cake is wrong or anything.  But for me it was an idol because I was eating emotionally, trying to fill a void that only God can fill properly.

Self-Control in Fiction:

1) Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin is set around the Temperance movement of the 1920s.

2) And the Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers shows the impact of an extra-marital affair on a family and shows a great picture of what repentance truly means.

3) The Last Sin Eater by Francine River is a wonderful story about the devastating effects of sin on all our lives and the power of Jesus to set us free from the power of sin. 

4) Church Ladies by Lisa Samson deals with several topics: the aftermath of an affair, pre-marital sex, and food/weight issues.

5) Mary DeMuth's books deal with the delicate topics of anger and abuse.

6 comments:

I'm still praying for your family! I hate to hear that your little boy was in the hospital. I hope everything is going well!
I know about the fear issue. We're getting ready to start trying for another little one, but I'm so scared. After my first pregnancy, I'm terrified the same thing will happen, or worse it won't make it. Your post is a great reminder, though. I need to trust in God, and know that it will all work out. (Maybe not like I want).
I couldn't help but laugh a little about the chocolate cake. I'm the same way. I get so depressed and I try to eat it away, and the only thing I accomplish is needing bigger clothes. But I had never thought about it like an idol. I have so much to work on!!
I've really been enjoying your fruit posts! :)

Wow, your post really resonated with me today. I'm sorry about your son, I hope he's feeling better.

My son went through major heart surgery about 4 years ago (he's fine now), and I found myself slipping into hypochondria afterwards. I grew super worried about every little thing that went wrong with the kids. A simple cough would turn into an ER trip. If I could have wrapped them up in bubble wrap I would have.

One verse that gets me through when I feel that crazed/manic feeling coming on is 2Tim 1:7- "For God did not give us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind." I love that verse b/c I can seriously get out of my mind with worry and I have to remember to give it to the Lord.

As I was researching that verse, I noticed some translations say "power, love and self control" which ties right into what you're talking about.

Take Care!
Joy

Thanks so much, Bluerose. He is fine and completely back to normal, which means since he is a 2 1/2 year old boy...just trying to prevent further accidents.

I totally understand too about the pregnancies. I was hospitalized during my pregnancy with Liz and then I had partum depression with Noah. I'll keep you in prayer, too.

Thanks so much, Bluerose. I've been so blessed by meeting you online. Thanks for being honest. I think we all have so much to work on. I know I do. I love Philippians 1:6...what a great reminder.

Joy, Thanks so much for sharing. I'm glad it spoke to you today. My son's perfectly back to normal. Oh, I so understand what you mean about the bubble tape. I'm sure that must have been so rough watching your baby go through surgery.

Thanks for sharing the translation of that verse. You really blessed me.

Great post and reminder. Life's difficulties definitely give us the blessing to ground our faith in the self-control of keeping our eyes firmly fixed on Christ. Whew, and some days are much easier than others. :)

So true, Lisa. And you're definitely right, some days are easier than others. I have been so blessed by your "object lessons" lately.


Julia M. Reffner

About Me

My photo
Christ-loving bookworm & homeschool mom of 2 stealing the rare quiet moments to pursue that all elusive writing dream. I also write book reviews for Title Trakk and The Historical Novel Society.

Followers

Contributor at The Writer's Alley:

http://bookblogs.ning.com/main/embeddable/list#

FeedBurner FeedCount

counter