Dark Glass Ponderings

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. -1 Corinthians 13:12


Title: A Distant Melody
Series: Wings of Glory #1


Author: Sarah Sundin


Publication Date: 2010


My rating: 4.5/5




Ever since reading The Diary of Anne Frank in middle school, I've been hooked on World War II stories. Maybe its because I grew up hearing the stories of the brave men and women who risked their lives in this war. My great-grandfather was a doctor in France, treating both Axis and Allies. My grandfather was an engineer who stayed on the homefront but was involved in some war projects that he never fully shared with his family. My husband Chris' grandfather was a part of the decoy infantry storming the beaches of Normandy.

Sarah's first novel is one part romance, one part gritty historical, and one part rip-roaring hilarity. Every detail has been attended to in this historical. I loved the excitement of being "part" of Walt's crew on the plane as we followed him from mission to mission.  It felt so real, as though I was involved in the action.


A beautiful romance is made of two ordinary people.  I LOVE the fact that Sarah took the marketing risk and made Walt and Allie ordinary looking individuals with sometimes low self-confidence.

I could really relate to Allie's struggle to follow her parents versus following God. I very much struggle with being a people pleaser at times. Walt's main struggle throughout the novel was truth-telling. Although it was war time, I liked that the struggles Allie and Walt faced were ordinary struggles, too, that so many of us struggle with today.

Personally I enjoyed the fact that Allie and Walt's romance was conducted mainly through letters. My husband and I are both "writerly" types and wrote quite a few emails and letters to each other when we were getting to know each other. I still take those letters out regularly to swoon at the sentiments and cringe at the spelling.

I am so glad A Memory Between Us is coming out in September, as I don't want to wait long to find out what happens to Walt, Allie, and the rest of their Air Force buddies.

18 comments:

Great review, Julia! :) This book sounds like it had a lot of great lessons, and it also sounds like it was engaging. Makes me excited that I'm going to reviewing A Memory Between Us! :D

By the way, I started Rain Song last night. :) It's good so far!

~Amber

It was a great read. I'm excited about A Memory Between Us tour, too :). I think you will like all the research Sarah has done.

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying Rain Song :)

I'm really looking forward a A Memory Between Us, too! Although, now I wish I had read this one first.
Before I started reviewing, I would have never read a 2nd or 3rd book in a series without reading the 1st one. I'm getting out of that now, but I still always wish I'd read the earlier ones.

I totally understand what you mean about reviewing. I guess when you see the opportunities pop up, right?? I definitely recommend coming back to this one :)

This comment has been removed by the author.

I fell in love with Walt & Allie too! The cover of A Distant Melody reminds me of one of my favorite movies, "The Best Years of Our Lives". It really seemed personal to me as well. I was born at March Field and raised in Riverside, California where part of the story takes place. I can hardly wait for A Memory Between Us to be released. Sarah Sundin has a wonderful way with her characters and the research is obviously well done.

Blessings,
Cindy W.

Julia - thank you so much for your lovely review. I've been pleased at how many people like my "ordinary" hero/heroine. I thought I'd take flak for that :)
Amber & Bluerose - thank you for signing up for the A Memory Between Us tour! Although it's book 2, it's meant to stand alone. The story concentrates on Walt's brother Jack, and nurse Ruth Doherty. Walt & Allie appear as side characters - but you definitely don't have to read Book 1 to understand Book 2. Hope you enjoy :)
Cindy - good to hear from you again :)

Cindy, I've never seen "The Best Years of Our Lives" but now I want to. I didn't know you were from the area where the book takes place. I'm sure that makes it take on a special significance. I completely agree about the wonderful characterizations...and that Sarah has done a great job with research.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sarah, It was my pleasure to review this book. I love Jack's sense of humor so I can't wait to hear more of his story. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Hello Julia how have you been?
This book sounds like one I must read, I too love to read stories about WWII. My dad was in Europe during WWII, he is a D-day Veteran and a Veteran of the Battle of the Bulge.
Thank you for your great review!

Annette, Thanks for stopping by. We are doing well here :). I'll bet your Dad has some great stories to tell. I hope you enjoy A Distant Melody as much as I did.

Great review, Julia! I'm really looking forward to the Memory tour as well.

Thanks, Ruth. It will be fun to blog hop during Sarah's tour and read all the different reviews.

Good point. I should do this more too. Jane Kirkpatrick blessed me by treating me as if I could one day be an author. And Aubrie Dionne blessed me by introducing me to her e-publisher and reviewing my book, just as if I really am an author.

It's a great idea to be an encourager.

what a great post! Encouragement is so important, no matter what you do. It can just make someone's day and feel like their work was worth it. I'll have to check out these other authors, I know Laura and she's such a dear!~
Happy Tasha Tudor Day :)

@ Sheila, I've never read Jane Kirkpatrick, but now I want. There are so many people online that are blessings to each of us.

@Sally, I agree. Thanks for commenting and stopping by.

@Heather, Yes, I'm glad we are mutual admirers of Laura and your bookmarks made such pretty companions for Morrow. I treasure those bookmarks, they're beautiful so thanks again. And I will be sure to stop by for the Tudor festivities.


Julia M. Reffner

About Me

My photo
Christ-loving bookworm & homeschool mom of 2 stealing the rare quiet moments to pursue that all elusive writing dream. I also write book reviews for Title Trakk and The Historical Novel Society.

Followers

Contributor at The Writer's Alley:

http://bookblogs.ning.com/main/embeddable/list#

FeedBurner FeedCount

counter