Dark Glass Ponderings

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. -1 Corinthians 13:12


Title: No Other



Author: Shawna Williams


Publication Date: 2010


Format: ebook


Rating: 4.5/5




Shawna has written a beautiful story of sin, redemption, and healing. She has set it around a shameful setting for our country, Crystal City. Jakob’s family members were among many of German descent sent to these interment camps. Jakob’s experience is one of coming to terms with his heritage. Shawna has masterfully drawn Jakob and the other characters and the reader feels deeply for each of them.

Shawna’s book deals with sin and repentance in a very real way. She shows the ripple effect of sin. None of us are immune. She shows us how others are affected in a powerful way by the choices we make. We are not to blame for other’s sin, but we do have a very real responsibility to protect others from temptation in whatever form that might take.

The Bible is seemlessly woven into the storyline. Jakob and Meri must learn to look to God alone, just as each of us must. Shawna uses direct quotes from Scripture in the thoughts and dialogue to create a faith-filled story that is not preachy at all.

No Other both surprised and delighted me and I look forward to the sequel.

6 comments:

Hi, Julia!
Wow! Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed No Other. It was a joy to write. I've mentioned before that No Other and the sequel, In All Things, were originally one story. I think you'll like IAT. I don't want to give anything away, but it expands a lot on the first in a way that might surprise you.

Shawna, I'm so glad I had the chance to read your story. I love the pearl bracelet and now after reading the story it takes on a new meaning. Can't wait for the sequel :)

I've heard nothing but good reviews on No Other, so I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

I think you will like it. I can't wait for the sequel!

Great review. I enjoyed No Other too. Looking forward to her sequel.

@ Joy, Me, too. I can't wait for the sequel.


Julia M. Reffner

About Me

My photo
Christ-loving bookworm & homeschool mom of 2 stealing the rare quiet moments to pursue that all elusive writing dream. I also write book reviews for Title Trakk and The Historical Novel Society.

Followers

Contributor at The Writer's Alley:

http://bookblogs.ning.com/main/embeddable/list#

FeedBurner FeedCount

counter