Dark Glass Ponderings

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. -1 Corinthians 13:12

I've enjoyed reading top 10 lists around the web today.  After a few failed attempts I realize I am unable to number them, so instead I will share why each was a favorite.  It was difficult to limit the list.  My criteria is that the book has spiritual impact and depth.

Family-Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham



This book is filled with underlined quotes and is a resource I will probably return to regularly to remind myself of the reasons why I homeschool.


The Fruitful Life, Transforming Grace, and The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges.



I'm so glad I discovered Jerry Bridges in 2010.  I love his humility, grace and copious quotes from faithful Puritans.  The Discipline of Grace is a favorite and as a result, I've added "preach the gospel to yourself daily" as a favorite quotation.


The Church History ABC's by Stephen Nichols

Finally, an understandable and fun introduction to church history.  The pictures are great and I learned as much as my kids did.


Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

OK, I said I wasn't going to prioritize but these next two are my top favorites of the year!  We had a Hinds' Feet tea at our women's Bible study and I was so blessed by this book.  As an allegory this technically ranks as fiction but I'm going to count it in the devotional category.  Prepare to blessed and convicted!


The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

If I could only recommend one book on forgiveness this is the one.  Powerful!

Have you read any great devotional or other nonfiction books this year?

12 comments:

Great list, Julia. I've been so blessed to read some great ones this year -- Crazy Love by Francis Chan, The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan, Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit, and many others. Always love reading the devotional books, Streams in the Desert and My Utmost for His Highest.

So many awesome books out there to help bring us closer to God!

Happy New Year, sweet one!

ohh! Hinds Feet on High Places was VERY good - I have to agree with you! I really enjoyed reading that book!

~ Katy

I enjoyed/learned from Hinds Feet on High Places. And I love The Hiding Place! I read Hiding Place again earlier this year with my autistic teen student. As I was reading a section aloud, I just started to cry at the beauty of those Spirit-filled women as they conquered the worst this fallen world could throw at them. (My student handled my tears well, poor kid.)

Have you ever read Evidence Not Seen, the autobiography of Darlene Deibler Rose? (I wrote a few posts about her on my blog.) I find it almost as powerful.

I've just started If God is Good by Randy Alcorn. I go back to his book Heaven again and again. I've reread favorite sections all through 2010 and will do so during 2011, I know!

Some others I go back to often are Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elizabeth Elliot and Unspoken Sermons by George MacDonald. Not sure why. They just speak to me.

I've read a book by Bridges but not the ones you mentioned. I'll have to add him to my wish list. Thanks for reminding me, Julia!

Julia, I know who to turn to when I'm looking for good nonfiction. You have such a fine list! I've been meaning to tell you how much reading Murray means to me. Always a timeless lesson with TRUTH and GRACE. Bless you abundantly.

Okay, as soon as I'm done with one of the books I'm currently reading I am starting The Hiding Place! It has been sitting in my TBR for a while and what you said here confirms it is definitely a book to start the year off with! And, Hinds Feet was so beautiful and one I've read many times- it one of those books that never gets old and is a new blessing every time you read it :) Thanks for the recommends, I'll have to keep those others is mind!

Praying you have a beautiful New Year, my friend, filled with Jesus!!

Blessings,
Amanda Stanley

@ Lisa,
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your recommendations. I know Francis Chan is one I will try to fit in 2011 as I've heard several great reviews lately. And I love My Utmost. So much depth, every time I read it the Spirit shows me something different.

@Katy,
I can't wait to read Mountains of Spices. I'm so glad I was introduced to Hannah Hurnard.

@ Renee Ann,
What a powerful message. It made me cry, too. You know what, I haven't read Evidence Not Seen...but I'm going to head over to your blog and look for those posts. My Bible study leader recommends it as well. I love Elisabeth Elliot and I enjoyed Discipline. Definitely interested in checking out the books you recommend!

@Laura,
Thanks! I'm so glad it blessed you! Actually I haven't read all of that book so I didn't put it on but I forgot to mention the books I had read on my list. I loved Power of the Blood especially!

@ Amanda,
I don't think you will regret reading The Hiding Place. Powerful stuff! I can't wait to hear your thoughts, my friend! I have a feeling Hinds Feet will become a read-over for me, too.

The Hiding Place really is wonderful. I'll have to look out for your other choices. Thanks.

Sorry for the random comment, but I wanted to let you know that I have a blog award for you! :) You can find it here:

http://seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-award-9.html

Happy New Year, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on what you read in 2010!

As far as devotionals go, I really enjoyed a Christmas/December devotional I read for Tyndale called "Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room." It's a great family or individual devotional!

~Amber

These look great. I haven't read any devotionals lately. I think I'm going to start the Power of a Praying Wife which I've had on my nightstand for a while.

@ Sheila,
Yes, The Hiding Place is unforgettable isn't it? I hope to read more by Corrie soon.

@ Amber,
Thank you so much for the award! I'm so glad I found your blog in 2010! And I will definitely keep that devotional in mind.

@ Joy,
I think you will be blessed by The Power of a Praying Wife. I loved that one!


Julia M. Reffner

About Me

My photo
Christ-loving bookworm & homeschool mom of 2 stealing the rare quiet moments to pursue that all elusive writing dream. I also write book reviews for Title Trakk and The Historical Novel Society.

Followers

Contributor at The Writer's Alley:

http://bookblogs.ning.com/main/embeddable/list#

FeedBurner FeedCount

counter